Thursday 30 April 2015

Springtime florals part one

Hello my loves! 

I hope this post finds you all well and that you've all been out and about making the most of this gorgeous springtime sunshine we've been blessed with over the past few weekends. I've been enjoying the lovely weather and thinking more and more about spring- my second favourite season of the year.

Personally I find that spring reminds me of all things bright & beautiful- baby animals, picnics with friends and fields full of florals. Tulips, Daffodils, Pansies, Carnations... the list goes on! It's no great secret if you take a peek in my wardrobe that I absolutely adore flowers and floral prints are one of the greatest and most repeated influences in there. I've always been a big fan of floral prints ever since I was a little girl and I think this is, in part, due to the fact that floral prints can be so diverse. I currently own at least 30+ items of clothing that feature a variety of roses, sunflowers, daisies and a whole garden's worth of flowers and yet no two pieces are too alike.

Baby me rocking some green floral 90's dream dress 

This apparent fascination with all things floral print has stayed with me into adulthood, and most recently has manifested itself into my love of UK-based vintage reproduction giants Collectif Clothing. Collectif have made themselves known in both the pinup and plus size clothing community by standing out with strong prints, impeccably cut clothing and high-end tailoring with an affordable pricetag. 

I've been wearing Collectif for about 4 years now and one dress in particular has been a wardrobe staple for me over this time frame, culminating in me now owning a whopping 9 (yes, 9!) of the same dress in a wide variety of colours and prints! What is this amazing dress you ask.....?

 

Why it's the Delores Doll dress of course! Modeled here in "Summer Bouquet" print by the beautiful Georgina of FullerFigureFullerBust what's not to love? This dress is incredibly big-bust friendly and very flattering on a variety of body shapes. The full skirt is perfect for twirling (something I do a lot of, as it's one of my two staple dance moves, the other being "the awkward dad at a disco jive") and the little cap sleeves give a nice amount of coverage and can be worn on or off the shoulder. 

Information about this dress from the Collectif Website:

"Bring some sunshine into your day with our Dolores Doll dress in Summer Bouquet. Bright, zesty and bursting with joy; this cotton print features a white background with bright floral blooms. Combine with our Elizabeth bolero in yellow classic cotton for an elegant, fun outfit for summer garden parties." 
In terms of sizing for the Delores Doll Dress, most reviews I've read suggest sizing down as this particular style has a lot of give. Now that I own 9 versions of this dress, this advice is something that i'd reiterate. I'm wearing a size 16 in the Summer Bouquet Print (i'm usually an 18, given my 46" bust and 36" waist) and it fits incredibly well. It's accommodating for my bust yet still fits neatly around my waist, helping me to achieve that hourglass figure and pinup look. 

Another aspect of this dress that I absolutely love is the sweetheart neckline. It's flattering without being too cleavage-heavy and can be pulled up or down depending on how much skin you wish to show. Within the plus-size blogging community the Delores Doll dress has become a wardrobe staple for the masses, coming in a plethora of different prints and styles - one for every occasion imaginable! It's not hard to see why this dress is such a winner in the eyes of so many!


I shot these images with the wonderful Michala Oborna, of Michala Oborna Photography up the historical point of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. The Scottish Gorse bushes provided the perfect backdrop to offset the bright yellow florals of the Delores Doll Summer Bouquet dress and as you can see, the cloudless blue sky provided a lovely contrast. 



I have shot with Michala previously several years ago when I was a member of a burlesque troupe and modeled for a pinup company in Edinburgh and can confirm that years later, she is still every bit as fun, professional and sweet as ever. Michala gives fantastic instruction - she is direct yet overwhelmingly positive which ultimately led to a wonderfully fun photoshoot that yielded some great results! If you're Edinburgh based (or Central Scotland based for that matter) and are looking for a talented photographer then you need look no further. Michala can be reached via her facebook page linked above and I guarantee that you'll enjoy every minute of your photoshoot experience with her. 
Outfit details
Dress: Collectif 
Flower Crown: Etsy 
Stockings: What Katie Did

I hope that you've enjoyed my little springtime styling. Keep an eye out for the next installment of my springtime florals update, where i'll be sharing an absolutely breathtaking gown by vintage reproduction faves Vivien of Holloway

Until next time my darlings, 

Lovelustloves xO

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely STUNNING! Suits your complexion to a T! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just gorgeous and the dress is amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like an etheral faerie. So lovely!
    I wish I could fit into Collectif. Their stuff is amazing.

    ReplyDelete